What size are double mattresses?
In metric dimensions, a double is 135cm wide and 190cm long. In imperial measurements, it is 4 feet 6 inches wide and 6 feet 3 inches long.
Double mattresses are best for: 2 people and average to small-sized bedrooms.
European bed sizes consist of:
- Single european dimensions: 3' x 6'6" (90 x 200cm)
- Double european dimensions: 4'7" x 6'6" (140 x 200cm)
- King european dimensions: 5'3" x 6'6" (160 x 200cm)
How to choose the right double mattress
The right mattress helps provide you with a refreshing and deep sleep, all night and every night. Thus, it is crucial to take your time to research what type of bed is best for you:
Double mattresses for spinal support
- Latex mattresses combine traditional materials such as pocket springs, with latex to improve support and push-back for the sleeper. The natural elasticity of the latex layers will help to keep the spine in the correct position throughout the night; it does this by responding more accurately to your sleep position. A latex mattress has quick response properties, so any movement is accounted for, which gives you the freedom to move around and still be supported.
Two-thirds of people sleep on their sides; the rest are either sleeping on their backs or stomachs. It is imperative to understand how sleeping positions will relate to the type of support you need.
The best mattress for your sleeping position
- Suppose you are a side sleeper, you will most likely need a soft bed that responds to pressure points, such as a pocket spring or pillow top mattress. Winston's Beds, soft mattresses alleviate any pressure created by your shoulders, ensuring your spine is kept as straight as possible.
- For back sleepers, we recommend medium or firm mattresses that provide enough back support. The sturdy structure of natural pocket spring mattresses will ensure you won't dip into the bed, thus, keeping your body aligned, whilst still offering substantial levels of comfort.
- Stomach sleepers are best using a firm mattress. A firm bed will prevent your hips and upper body from being at an unnatural angle, this will ensure you get the best night's sleep possible.
What types of double mattress are there?
We have a wide selection of mattresses available, with each mattress having its own benefits.
- Latex mattresses feature advanced technology and will maximise your sleep experience. The double size bed will soften, responding to your sleep position on contact with your body. This makes a latex mattress great for keeping you comfortable every night.
- A mattress with pocket springs and natural fillings will allow you to keep cool during the night, as it is not as heat retentive, as some other types of mattresses. Also providing excellent support, which means the bed will respond to your sleep position and movements correctly.
What firmness is best for me?
With three comfort grades available, it's not easy to decide which is the ideal firmness for you. Your sleeping position, personal preference and most importantly, your weight will play a part in making the right choice.
- A soft bed with extra cushioning if you are a side sleeper is perfect for those who weigh up to 11 stones.
- Medium comfort mattresses are an excellent choice for anyone who changes their sleeping position throughout the night and weighs between 11 to 16 stones.
- For those who weigh 16 stones and above a firm tension is the best choice, it will provide the proper support for your joints and spine.
For more information, see our firmness guide.