What is the size of single mattresses?
In metric dimensions, they have a width of 90cm and are 190cm in length. In imperial measurements, 3ft mattresses are equal to 3 feet wide and 6 feet 3 inches long. As the name 'single mattresses' suggests, they are ideal for one person or children. A 3ft mattress accounts for growth spurts from toddlers right through to young adults.
Single mattresses are best for: 1 person
How to choose a single mattress?
Four simple factors will help you choose the perfect single bed
- Choose from a range of 5 different types, pocket spring, natural, latex, combination or pillow top.
- The thicker the mattress, the more fillings it will have thus it will provide more comfort and support. Our rule of thumb is to always choose a mattress with a thickness of at least 10 inches.
- Read what the majority of reviewers have to say about the mattress you are thinking of buying, so you will be able to get a much more accurate representation of it.
- Longer guarantee periods usually mean it is higher quality. Winstons Beds, provide a 10-year guarantee; this is because we are confident that our products will last.
What types are there?
- Latex features advanced technology and will soften and respond to your sleep position, meaning latex is great for keeping you comfortable all night.
- A pocket spring mattress is not as warm as some other types of mattresses on the market. They allow you to keep cool throughout the night, whilst always providing excellent support as it will respond to your sleep position and movement correctly.
Which mattress is best for me?
With a vast selection of mattress types and three comfort grades available, it's not easy to choose, which will be most suited to you. Much of this will be based on your sleeping position and most importantly, your body weight.
- A soft comfort grade with plenty of cushioning is perfect if you are a side sleeper and weigh up to and no more than 11 stones. It will allow you to sink into the mattress, whilst also keeping your spine and joints healthy and aligned.
- Medium comfort grades are an excellent choice for anyone who weighs between 11 to 16 stones.
- For those who weigh 16 stones and above a firm grade is a more suitable choice, as it will provide support for your spine and joints.
We want to make sure you get the very best sleeping experience. Therefore, our 91-night comfort guarantee gives you the option to exchange your mattress, if you're not entirely convinced that you have chosen the correct comfort grade.
For further information, see our firmness guide.