How to clean your mattress
First things first, make sure to prepare your materials.
You will likely need a vacuum cleaner, baking soda, mild detergent, a spray bottle, a sponge or clean cloth, and – if you wish – a mattress protector.
Once you have all the right equipment, you can get cleaning.
Whether you have a double mattress or a king size mattress, these are the steps you should take:
- Strip the bed – Remove all your bedding, including the duvet, blankets, sheets, mattress protector, and pillowcases. Throw everything in the washing machine and check for any stains on the mattress.
- Gently vacuum the surface – Use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum cleaner to gently hoover the surface of your mattress. This way, you’ll be able to get rid of any dust, dirt, or other debris that has accumulated on it over time.
- Apply baking soda to the mattress – Sprinkle baking soda over the entire surface of the mattress. Baking soda can act as a natural deodoriser, meaning that it will help absorb and remove any odour from the mattress.
Let it sit for about 30 minutes to one hour. After that, vacuum the surface again to get rid of the baking soda.
- Mix and spray the cleaning solution – At this point, create a mixture of mild detergent (or washing up liquid) and water. Apply it to the mattress, ensuring you get into all the crannies and nooks.
Then, use a sponge or clean cloth to wipe down the mattress. Wipe in a circular motion to remove any residual dirt or debris more effectively.
- Let the mattress dry – It is time now for the mattress to rest! Leave it to dry completely – this could take several hours.
- Put the bedding back on – Once it is dry, you can put all the bedding back on. Before you start, consider flipping or rotating your mattress (if it is designed to do so), as it can help prolong its lifespan. And if you have a mattress protector, don’t forget to pop it back on, too – it will shield your mattress from future dust mites, stains, and spills.
If you have any questions on how to clean a mattress, feel free to get in touch. At Winstons Beds, we are always happy to answer any queries you may have!