A detailed look at mattress sizes and their benefits
Navigating the labyrinth of mattress sizes can be quite perplexing. Each size caters to different needs and spaces. Here, we break down the dimensions and advantages of each size, helping you find the perfect fit:
Single Mattresses (3ft single mattress)
- Measuring approximately 90cm x 190cm or roughly 3ft x 6ft 3in, this is the quintessential choice for solo sleepers. Especially apt for children transitioning from cots, teenagers, or adults with limited bedroom space.
Small Double Mattresses
- A step up from the single, these mattresses measure around 120cm x 190cm. They’re ideal for solo sleepers desiring a bit more stretching space, or for couples in compact living spaces.
- With dimensions of about 135cm x 190cm, they’re a common choice for couples or those who love extra room while they lounge or sleep.
King Size Mattresses
- Boasting a size of 150cm x 200cm, king size mattresses cater to couples who desire ample personal space when sleeping. Their expansive dimensions also mean a luxurious sleep experience.
Emperor and Large Emperor Mattresses
- The emperor measures around 200cm x 200cm, while the larger variant exceeds this. These are for sleep enthusiasts who crave opulence and vastness in their resting space.
- Not to be mistaken with the American Queen size, in the UK, Queen mattresses are usually custom-made and may often be 120cm x 190cm.
Each mattress size has its own set of advantages. For instance, single mattresses are versatile and fit well in most spaces, making them a great choice for guest rooms.
On the other hand, larger sizes like the Emperor offer a luxurious sleeping experience but require spacious rooms. It’s vital to measure the room’s dimensions and assess personal and shared space requirements before making a decision.
Furthermore, given that we emphasise natural fibres in our mattresses, even within a specific size, the feel and benefits might differ based on the combination of horsehair, wool, cotton, silk, flax and coir used.