Understanding different mattress sizes
Understanding the diverse landscape of mattress sizes is indispensable when seeking the perfect fit for your sleeping needs. Below, we detail the various mattress dimensions and their appropriate applications:
Single mattresses (90cm x 190cm)
- Ideal for solo sleepers, especially children or those with limited bedroom space. These mattresses can fit into most room sizes, offering a compact yet comfortable sleeping area.
Small double mattresses (120cm x 190cm)
- This size bridges the gap between a single and a standard double. Often referred to as a ‘three-quarter bed’, it’s perfect for individuals requiring a tad more space or for rooms that can’t quite accommodate a full double.
Double mattresses (135cm x 190cm)
- A popular choice for many, these mattresses suit couples or individuals who enjoy more sprawling space. They fit comfortably into most master bedrooms without overwhelming the room’s proportions.
King size mattresses (150cm x 200cm)
- Going a notch up, the king size offers an added width that can make a notable difference for couples, ensuring each person has ample personal space for a relaxed night’s rest.
Super king mattresses (180cm x 200cm)
- Epitomising luxury in mattress sizes, the super king ensures that sleepers have abundant space. Whether for couples wanting the maximum personal sleeping area or individuals seeking opulent comfort, this size is the pinnacle of spaciousness.
- Typically larger than the super king, their dimensions can vary. Often sought for oversized rooms or bespoke bed frames, these mattresses provide an unmatched expansive sleeping experience.
Large emperor mattresses
- Exceeding the emperor in size, these are often custom-made for specific needs, providing an extraordinarily spacious sleep environment.
- This term is more prevalent outside the UK, especially in the USA. While it holds a specific standard size abroad, in the UK, its dimensions can be inconsistent. Always verify measurements before considering this option.
Each mattress size has been tailored for varied needs and room dimensions. When choosing, it’s not only about personal comfort but also ensuring that the mattress harmonises with the room’s size and layout. Always measure your bed frame and room space and consider future needs—like a partner moving in or a potential room change—before making a final decision.